Coconut chutney or kai chutneyPreparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 8-10 mins
- 2 small cups of fresh grated coconut or frozen coconut
- 3/4 cup roasted channa dal(hurikadale)
- 2-3 green chillies
- cilantro(coriander leaves/kothambari soppu)
- little tamarind or tamarind paste
- little jaggery
- salt to taste
If using frozen grated coconut, defrost it by letting it on the countertop for 1/2 hr or so OR microwave and thaw it. First, grind the roasted channa dal and to this add all the other ingredients with little water to the blender and make it into a coarse paste or what is called chutney.
Take it out into a serving bowl.
Heat a non-stick or aluminium ladle. To this add the following in the same order:
- 2 tspns of oil
- 1/2 tspn mustard seeds(sasive)
- 1/4 tspn urad dal(uddina bele)
- 1/8 tspn fenugreek seeds(menthya)
- a few curry leaves
- a pinch of hing(asefotida)
It is up to your taste whether to add jaggery or not. Also, by following this recipe, the chutney will be green. If you do not want the chutney to be green and for it to be white, just omit the cilantro.