Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mango Rice / Maavinakai Chitranna

I have learnt this recipe from my mom.  Here, I am trying my best to copy her :)

Measurements & Ingredients:
  • Raw mango - 1
  • Non-spicy red chillies(byadige) - 10-15
  • Dry coconut flakes or grated coconut - 6-7 tspns
  • Fenugreek seeds(menthya) - a little < 1/2 tspn
  • Jaggery - 5-6 tspns or depending on your taste
  • Oil - 2 tbspns
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
  • Black gram(urad dal) - 1 tspn
  • Bengal gram(channa dal) - 1 tspn
  • Raw peanuts - 3 tspns
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Pinch of asafoetida(hing)
Method:


Grate raw mango into big pieces(not the fine grater).


Heat a small ladle and to this add red chillies, fenugreek seeds with 2 drops of oil and fry for a min.  In a blender, add these red chillies, fenugreek seeds, dry coconut and jaggery and make a coarse powder(not too coarse).


Mix this powder with the grated mango.

Heat oil in the same ladle.   To this, first add raw peanuts.  Once they start changing colour, immediately add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and hing.

Add this tempering to the mango mixture. 

Cook rice (see 'How to make mixed rice').  Mix this mango mixture to the rice and also add salt.

Mouth watering Mango rice is ready!



Note:
I haven't added peanuts, as I remember reading that, fried peanut has cholesterol, whereas boiled peanut has proteins.  Since I have added dry coconut(which gives out oil), I  skipped peanuts.  But the original recipe calls for peanuts and these fried peanuts tastes so crunchy...

No comments:

Post a Comment