I had heard about the Panchmel dal and was searching for the recipe. Finally I came across this recipe from www.maayeka.com and decided to try it. It turned out to be awesome.
Preparation Time - 10 mins (excluding dal soak time)
Cook Time - 45 mins
Serves - 4-6 people
Measurements & Ingredients:
- Bengal gram(channa dal/kadale bele) - 1/4 cup
- Yellow Lentil( moong dal/hesaru bele) - 1/4 cup
- Red lentil( masoor dal/masoor bele) - 1/4 cup
- Pigeon peas( toor dal/togari bele) - 1/3 cup
- White lentil(urad dal/uddina bele) - 1/3 cup
- Spinach - 3 full cups
- Potato - 1 medium
- Tomato - 1 big or 2 medium
- Brinjal - 2 medium
- Green chilies - 3
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Lemon juice - 2 tspn
- Turmeric powder - 3/4 tspn
- Dhaniya powder (coriander powder) - 1 tspn
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 tspn
- Ghee - 2 tspn
- Mustard seeds - 3/4 tspn
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds(methi seeds) - 1/4 tspn
- Fennel seeds (saunf) - 1/4 tspn
- Whole red chilies(Guntur) - 4
- Asafoetida(Hing) - a generous pinch
- Cloves - 2
Chop all the vegetables and keep them ready.
Wash all the dals and soak them in water for 20 - 30 mins. Later pressure cook them with enough water for 2 whistles. If you have do not have time to soak them, then pressure cook for 2 whistles and simmer it for another 7-10 mins.
Once the dal is cooked, take it out in a pan and add all the chopped vegetables (other than coriander leaves and lemon juice), grated ginger, green chilies and spices to it. Add water to bring it to the dal consistency. Make sure not to add too much water as we do not want the dal to be too watery.
Let it cook on medium heat for about 10-12 mins and then simmer for another 15 mins. Make sure to stir in between. Turn off the heat. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
For the tempering, heat ghee in a ladle. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, whole red chilies, hing and
cloves. Add this tempering to the dal.
Serve hot with roti or rice.