Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Vangibath Powder/Palyada Pudi

This recipe is taught to me by my granny.  She is a fabulous cook.  The dish she prepares will be the best anyone would have prepared.  I have several of her recipes which I will share at a later point.  Here, I am writing down the actual recipe she has taught me.

Measurements & Ingredients:
  • Black gram(urad dal/uddina bele) - 1/2 paavu(paavu is a large measuring cup)
  • Bengal gram(channa dal/kadale bele) - 1/2 paavu
  • Coriander seeds(dhaniya) - 3/4 paavu
  • Non-spicy red chillies(byadige) - as per taste
  • Cinnamon stick - 6-7 medium size pieces
  • Little oil
  • Dry coconut - 1 half of the whole(1/2 gituku)
Method:

Separately fry urad dal and channa dal without oil.  Fry dhaniya and red chillies together with a few drops of oil.

Make a coarse powder out of the fried ingredients and keep aside.

Make a coarse powder of the coconut and add this powder to the other spice powder and mix well.  Store in an air-tight container.

My measurements(varies to the original recipe):

Urad dal - 1 cup
Channa dal - 1 cup
Dhaniya - 1&1/4 cup
Byadige chillies - 3 cups
Guntur chillies - 3
Cinnamon stick - 3/4 "
Cloves - 2
Hing - a pinch

Replacement:

I did not want to add dry coconut.  Since I omitted coconut, I added 1 clove and a pinch of hing for the taste.  Of course, nothing will replace the taste of dry coconut!  Also, the red chillies are more in quantity than what is seen in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment